Subject: Re: Mounting a PC partition with CrossDOS
From: [email-masked] (Eric Edwards)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 02:02:36 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc

In article <[email-masked]>, Chris Hames writes:

> The main things to remember when trying to read a real IBM harddrive
> with CrossDOS mountlist entry are:-
> 
> 1.  Get the mount parameters from HDToolBox/ChangeDriveType/DefineNew/
> ReadConfiguration, if the number of heads * blockspertrack does not equal
> blockspercylinder then set heads(surfaces) to one and use blockspercylinder
> as BlocksPerTrack in the mount entry.

I've tried doing this but the PC partition uses a different cylinder size.  
HDtoolbox reports 1 head and 604 blocks/track.  The PC partioning software
reports 17 heads and 62 blocks per track or 1054 blocks/cylinder.  I have
tried using HDtoolbox's numbers and just enough cylinders to contain the
PC partion.  I still get "Not a fileSystem device"

> 2. Use DosType=0x4d534800.

Did that but thanks for clearifying the point.  The mountlist for the PC
floppies uses DosType=0x4d534400.
 
> 3. End the mount name in C eg "PCC:" for the first partition D for the
> next etc.

Er, why?  The name of the mount name would seem to be irrelivent.  Is
CrossDos being very weird?

This is CrossDOS from the AmigaOS 2.1 distribution.  It isn't different
from "real" CrossDOS is it?

----
Eric Edwards: Bang= cg57.esnet.com!wolf359!eric Domain= [email-masked]
Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994